Safe drivers can manage the risks by making responsible decisions when driving.
When preparing for a trip, ensure that your car has the following items:
- First aid kit
- Torch and extra batteries
- Reflectorised triangles
- Small tool kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Jumper leads
- Tow rope
- Tyre pump
- Tyre pressure gauge
Mobile Phone Use
Using a mobile phone while driving can cause distractions and significantly increase the likelihood of a crash. Remember the following tips for safety:
- NEVER read or send text messages while operating your vehicle.
- Allow calls to go to voicemail instead of answering.
- If you must take a call, pull over and park.
- Plan driving breaks to make calls if necessary.
It is illegal in some areas to use a phone if it is not mounted in a commercially produced mounting device or unless a blue tooth headset or earphone is used.
Alcohol, Drugs, and Medicine
Do not mix driving with alcohol or ANY drug use.
- Use a designated driver.
- If no one is available, catch a taxi.
- Use public transport.
- Stay over for the night if possible.
- Call for a friend to pick you up.